Cyclocross brings together the best of road racing and mountain biking—it’s the perfect sport for all ages and skill levels. It’s also an ideal classroom for learning life lessons. Over the past 2 decades, our cyclocross program has grown to over 100 riders from age 8 to 18. We’ve built an incredible team of coaches who bring a high level of passion and experience to the team. The core of our program is after-school practices. We add racing on the weekends. The result is skills that will last a lifetime.
Read these testimonials from previous BJC participants.
2021 Cyclocross Program Summary
- We offer several levels based on age and experience from age 8 to 18. (For ages 6 to 8 check out our Young Devo program.)
- 2021 dates: August 30 to Nov. 18 (and to December 12 for Nationals)
- Afternoon practice 2 days a week (days vary according to level)
- Races on weekends (2021 races start Sept. 18, schedule here)
- Experienced, well-trained, professional coaching staff
- Our biggest emphasis is on teaching life lessons thru sport, developing fundamental bike skills, and having fun
- Inclusive, encouraging, team-based approach for all levels
- A sequential program that follows kids as they develop, from beginners to the World Championships
Devo Team is for all abilities age 8-13 or 14. (Details below.)
CX High Intro is a low key program for high school MTB racers who are new to cyclocross and is a perfect entry point to cyclocross for teenagers. Practices are Monday evening.
Hoogerheide is our race team is for high schoolers with significant experience (Details below.)
Devo Cyclocross Team Details
The Devo program is for girls and boys ages 8-14, from beginners to experts (must be age 8 on Sept. 1st) This is the core program of BJC’s progression model. Our focus is on skill and fitness development and an introduction to racing. The program is led by professional coach Lester Pardoe, now in his 15th season with BJC. Lester’s coaching team includes up to 20 additional coaches.
- 2021 dates: Aug 30 – Nov. 18 (12 weeks)
- No practices Sept 6 & Nov 11 (Federal holidays)
- Choose Monday & Wednesday OR Tuesday & Thursday, 4:15 – 6:15 pm
- Age 8 – 14 (must be 8 on Sept. 1st)
- Includes race day support
- Cost $595 Register here.
Hoogerheide Cyclocross Team Details
The co-ed Hoogerheide Team is for experienced cyclocross racers who have mastered the competencies in the Devo program or have completed our “CX High” program, are high-school aged, and who want to be a part of a competitive race team. This is the continuation of our spring/summer Red Squad High School MTB/Road program and includes all the coaching, mentorship, and team building activities that make our team so successful. Most team riders also participate in High School MTB racing simultaneously, and the programs complement each other. The program is led by coaches Joe Lewis, Michael Robson, and Pete Webber.
- 2021 dates: Aug. 30 to Dec. 12 (15 weeks, ends w/ Nationals.)
- Includes full-time coaching, training plan, and mentorship
- Practices are Tuesday & Wednesday, 4:15 – 6:15 pm
- Racing is expected for this group. (2021 races start Sept. 18, schedule here)
- Includes race day support
- Participation in out-of-state race trips require added fees.
- Cost $995 Register here.
CX High Intro Program Details
An intro to CX program for High School MTB racers who want to try cyclocross but still focus on the High School MTB season. The program will complement the High School MTB schedule, with one practice per week focused on CX skills that will help you succeed on any bike. This program is different from the Hoogerheide Team, which is geared toward experienced CX racers. But the two programs will work together and athletes can join the Hoogerheide Team once they master the necessary skills. Come see why cyclocross is so much fun, and how it helps you become a better mountain bike or road racer.
- Practice on 6 Mondays Sept. 13 to Oct. 18
- 4:15 – 6:15 pm
- Athletes may extend the season and move to Hoogerheide Team after CX High program concludes or when they’ve mastered the needed skills (add’l fees apply)
- CX High program does not include full-time coaching or training plan
- If you don’t want to buy a new CX bike, mountain bikes are totally OK to use!
- Contact us to see if loaner CX bikes are available
- Cost $175 Register here.
Scholarships: We offer scholarships for families who qualify, or options for paying fees in installments. Here’s more information or contact coach Pete should you have any other questions on applying. The deadline to submit the application is Aug. 15.
Bad Weather: We almost NEVER cancel practice due to bad weather. All ages ride in the rain and snow! Be ready! Please dress for the conditions that day! This will range from very hot to very cold, and include rain, snow, wind, sleet, etc. When trails are too muddy to ride, we’ll ride other locations. In the case of extreme weather we will cancel practice, but it almost never happens. We do not provide bad weather make up days.
Cyclocross Racing: Racing is not required at the lower levels, but most kids choose to race at least a couple times to apply the skills they’ve learned and see their improvements. There are categories for every age and ability, and the kids really have fun, but nobody should feel pressure to race. Events are sanctioned by Bicycle Racing Association of Colorado (BRAC) and are scattered up and down the Front Range. An average rider will do about 8-10 races per season and the older riders will race as many as 15-20 events. There are races available nearly every weekend from early September till mid December. (2021 races start Sept. 18, schedule here)
At roughly 10-12 designated “team races” BJC provides coaching, support, and a dedicated team tent and base camp. This is included in program fees.
The exact schedule of “team races” with BJC team support will be determined as the season approaches. Sometimes, weather or other factors require us to change the races with BJC team support.
Equipment: Riders need their own cyclocross or mountain bike as well as a helmet and appropriate clothing (rain jacket, gloves, cold weather gear, etc.). You can buy and sell gear on the BJC Facebook group. All athletes qualify for discounts at our team’s favorite bike shops: Trek Store Boulder and Excel Sports. (Contact us for details)
Do you need a cyclocross bike?
- Mountain bikes are totally OK to use for your first season. If you don’t want to buy a new bike, just get started on your MTB!
- Cyclocross bikes are fun and a bit faster than a MTB, so most athletes eventually prefer a cyclocross bike. If want to race a lot and are seeking the highest performance, take the plunge and buy a cyclocross bike. (Ask us about deals.)
Team Clothing: Team uniforms are pre-ordered by individuals prior to the season. Clothing must be ordered and paid for directly from the Cuore online store. Clothing is not included in program fees and there is no inventory of clothing held by BJC. Generally an email will be sent when the online store is open, and will be posted on the facebook or web page. Ordering typically happens in mid July and the gear takes 6 weeks to be produced. Team uniforms are not required, but most riders choose to purchase them. A team jersey and shorts are great to have, and many kids also get long sleeve jerseys, jackets, and racing skin suits. The uniforms for the Road Racing, Mountain Biking, and Cyclocross teams are all the same.
Athlete Wellness and SafeSport is a high priority for BJC. We’re proud to have earned Gold Level Certification, the highest level available.