Email us with questions.
BJC is a nationally recognized development team that provides coaching, training, and racing for all abilities age 6-18+. BJC is a 501(c)3 non-profit organization. BJC has been designated a Center of Excellence by USA Cycling every year since 2008.
Bike Play: introduction to cycling for age 4-5
- This program is not being offered in 2021 due to COVID.
Young Devo: bike skills instruction for age 6-8
- 6-week seasons offered Spring, Summer, and Fall
Devo MTB: all levels of mountain biking for age 9-13
- Seasons offered Spring, Summer, and Fall
Shredders: enduro and gravity MTB program for age 12-18
- Seasons offered Spring, Summer, and Fall
High School programs: for age 14-18
- Several programs for competitive athletes in Road, MTB, and Cyclocross
Cyclocross: all levels age 8-18
- Sept thru November
Meta u23 Team: age 19+
- Our u23 high-performance team
What about road racing? Our high school team combines MTB and Road Racing into one program. We encourage athletes under age u13 interested in Road Racing to first join our Devo MTB and Cyclocross programs to develop their skills and fitness and then shift to Road Racing in high school if that’s where their interest lies.
- Open, encouraging, team-based approach
- A sequential program that follows kids as they develop, from age 4-18+, from beginners to experts
- Coach-led practice 1, 2 or 3 days a week, with locations throughout Boulder County
- Racing is not required for most of our programs, but most kids, Devo age and up choose to race at least a couple times
- Experienced, well-trained, professional coaching staff with required certifications in safety and positive coaching
- The BJC Hall of Fame includes 36 National Champions, and 29 World Championship team members (includes alumni)
- Read our parent testimonials here.
BJC offers financial support for families who qualify. Here’s more information. Application for scholarships are accepted anytime.
BJC provides a professional coaching staff that brings a high level of training and experience to the program. Our coaches include alumni, teachers, national champions, and veterans of the sport. All of them have a passion for junior cycling that fuels our success. All coaches are required to take BJC-provided training plus pass certifications in First Aid, Concussions, SafeSport, and Positive Coaching.
Racing is not required, but most kids choose to race at least a couple times to apply the skills they’ve learned and see their improvements. (Racing is required in the Race program.) Events are held locally, across Colorado, as well as regionally and – for older and more experienced riders – national championships. Depending on age, an average rider will do about 4-8 races per season.
BJC provides coaching, support, and a dedicated base camp at many races each season. This is included in program fees. Many families participate in additional races on their own, and there are always other BJC kids to ride with. But BJC can’t provide support at every race on the calendar.
The exact schedule of races with BJC team support will be determined as the season approaches. Sometimes, weather or other factors require us to change the races with BJC team support.
Athlete Wellness and SafeSport is a high priority for BJC. We’re proud to have earned Gold Level Certification from our national federation, the highest level available. Read about our Athlete Wellness and SafeSport programs.
Riders need their own bike as well as a helmet and appropriate clothing (rain jacket, gloves, cold weather gear, etc.) Free or discounted equipment may be available to scholarship riders. Here’s info about what type of bike is best for the MTB Devo program.
Team uniforms are required for racing, but are optional for those who choose not to race. Group clothing orders are placed several times per year, and take about 2 months to be produced. Clothing is not included in program fees. The team also hosts a ‘swap session’ to help exchange gear among ever-growing kids!
Other Team Benefits: Boulder Junior Cycling members get various other benefits and deals, such as:
- Team tent and coaching at many races all season long, including the National Championships
- Discounts at our team’s favorite bike shops: Trek Store Boulder and Excel Sports
- Big savings for NICA racers on bikes thru Trek, the official bike sponsor of BJC. Orders are placed via Trek Boulder. (Contact us for details)
- Team Facebook group for communicating with the team and buying and selling gear
- Annual Bike swap to sell gear and buy hand-me-downs
- A supportive community and frequent parties, events, and social gathering
Volunteering: BJC is a volunteer-based organization. Families are asked to volunteer several hours each season to help keep our program running, and we’ll announce different opportunities for those with a little or a lot of time to pitch in.