BJC offers several programs for the high school age group.
Red Squad MTB & Road Team (spring & summer)
Shredders Gravity Team (spring, summer, fall) (info here)
Cyclocross (fall) (info here)
2021 Red Squad Details
The Red Squad is BJC’s spring/summer MTB and Road team. It’s designed for athletes who have mastered the competencies in the Devo program, are high-school aged, and who want to be a part of a cycling team. The Blue Squad from last year has been absorbed into this program.
The overall goals of the team are to have fun, build cycling expertise, develop life skills, learn life lessons, create a strong community, and test ourselves on the race course.
The program is suitable for intermediate and expert riders. Racing is not required, but we encourage it as a way to have fun with your teammates and challenge yourself.
Athletes should be ready to commit to attending every practice, training consistently, and working hard to achieve personal goals. These goals may range from preparing for your first season in the Colorado High School League to standing on the podium at the National Championships. All athletes are encouraged to work hard, bring a positive attitude, and commit toward a goal for the season.
At practice, the team splits into small groups based on age and ability. Most groups will do both mountain biking and road riding in a season, but a few groups with developing riders will stick to mountain biking only. Riders will be encouraged to try races outside their preferred discipline, but will be able to focus on their specialty. Blending mountain biking and road riding into one team allows us to create a stronger, more unified team culture and helps athletes develop a wider range of cycling skills and experiences.
The program is led by head coaches Joe Lewis and Pete Webber alongside veteran coaches Lydia Tanner, Scott Tietzel, Michael Robson, Meredith Miller, Isaiah Newkirk, and other BJC alumni.
We’ll attend 10-15 designated team races with coaching, support, and a base camp. The exact schedule of races with BJC team support will be determined as the season unfolds. Here’s a Google Sheet with all the possible events.
To manage covid risks, we will implement a number of safety protocols including small groups, distancing, staggered times and locations, and many other steps recommended by health officials. Read our Corona Precautions and Policies.
Riders need their own race-ready mountain bike (dropper post strongly encouraged.) Most riders will also benefit from having a road or cyclocross bike, capable of riding pavement and gravel. Contact us if you need help with a bike. You’ll also need cycling gear for all weather, including snow and rain. All athletes qualify for discounts at our team’s favorite bike shops: Trek Store Boulder and Excel Sports. (Contact us for details)
Read about our Athlete Wellness and SafeSport programs.
Scholarships are available.
2021 Red Squad Details
- March 2 – July 18 (20 weeks, but we’ll take a couple weeks off too)
- End date flexible based on race calendar & covid developments
- Spring practices are 2 hrs, Tues & Thurs 4:30 – 6:30 pm
- Summer practices are 3 hrs, Tues & Thurs 8:00-11:00 am
- Locations near City of Boulder, in summer locations spread further
- Includes full-time coaching and mentorship
- Includes Training Peaks account and full-time training plan for athletes who have demonstrated readiness
- Access to coaches via phone/email/group chat
- Calendar will include MTB, road, and gravel racing
- Participation in out-of-state race trips require added fees for athletes who have demonstrated readiness
- Support at races includes coaching, base camp, feed zone, etc
- USAC license is required for racing (free for juniors)
- Option to split out spring or summer season
- New athletes should contact Coach Joe before registering
- Cost: $1,400
Late Summer Rest Break
For riders targeting the High School MTB season, we recommend a mid-summer rest break to recover, recharge, and take some time off the bike. Training can resume in August and builds toward the High School and cyclocross seasons.
Athlete Wellness and SafeSport is a high priority for BJC. We’re proud to have earned Gold Level Certification, the highest level available.