Shredders is an enduro and gravity focused program for experienced co-ed riders ages 11-18. Our lead coach is Ben Robles. We’ll focus on being efficient on the climbs and how to be smooth and fast on the downhills while having a ton of fun. Specific skills such as manuals, bunny hops, jumps, drops, and everything in between will be sequentially taught.
Enduro is a discipline within mountain biking. The racing focuses on timing the descents in stages, with untimed transitions in between each stage. A race may include anywhere from 3 to 5 stages in a day. At the end, the time from all the stages is added up. Downhill is another discipline within mountain biking. Here, there is only one course and one shot at it. Go as fast as you can downhill from point A to point B and see how your time compares to the rest of the field.
Riders will be assigned to a small group based upon age, ability, and peer group.
Read BJC’s COVID Protocols
2020 Fall Session (New)
- August 24 – Oct 14 (8 weeks)
- Practices: Mondays & Wednesdays 4:30 – 6:30 p.m.
- Race weekends require add’l fees
Due to group size limits, the 2020 Fall Session will be filled through an application process. Registration will not happen until AFTER the team is selected.
1) Application deadline is midnight Aug 10, 2020. Apply only if you can commit to attending 90% of the practices.
2) BJC will fill the program according to rider age, skill level, commitment, and group compatibility.
3) To apply, the athlete must send an email to Coach Ben Robles briefly outlining the following information:
- Parents and athlete’s name
- Athlete’s age
- Contact info (emails and phone numbers)
- Where you are driving from (the locations we ride range from just outside of Boulder to Lyons, to Golden)
- Commitment level (Due to the limited number of spots, we require all athletes to have full commitment to practices)
- Skill Level:
- What features at Valmont is the athlete comfortable clearing consistently? (Such as Medium Slopestyle, Large dirt jumps, XL slopestyle but not whale tale, etc)
- What are the most technical trails the athlete is used to riding (such as Longhorn, Lefthand OHV [which trails in OHV], Bitterbrush etc.)
- Downhill skill level vs fitness level
- Goals for the season
- Any races you are signed up for, or are interested in signing up for the Fall
- To participate in the program riders must meet the following requirements:
- Ages 11-18
- Comfortable riding medium slopestyle at Valmont Bike Park (may not be clearing all jumps 100% of the time)
- Comfortable riding the Bitterbrush Rock Garden at Hall Ranch
- Full suspension MTB with dropper post
- Suggested minimum travel of 130mm
- MTB knee pads required
- Helmet with a removable full face bar is suggested
- If you are not yet at this skill level, please join the Devo MTB program to develop the skills and techniques to safely join this program
BJC has a scholarship program and support network in place for those who need it. If you anticipate being in a financial position that would prohibit your kids from riding with BJC, please do not hesitate to get in touch.
We rarely cancel sessions due to the weather, makeup sessions are not planned.
Riding locations may be limited due Covid-19 travel restrictions. Our ability to car pool or provide van transportation will be limited or non existent. Trails planned include: Hall Ranch / Bitterbrush, Heil Ranch, Valmont, and other local trails. We may head further afield to include trails near Golden, Ft Collins, Estes Park, and Winter Park, but circumstances may prevent this.
If you are unsure if this program is for you, have questions about schedule conflicts, or the skill level required, contact Shredders Lead Coach Ben Robles.