NEW: BJC Info Session: Tuesday, Feb. 12, 7:00 p.m.
Full Cycle, 1795 Pearl St, Boulder, CO 80302
Open house to learn about BJC’s programs for the spring/summer season.
BJC is a nationally recognized development team that provides coaching, training, and racing for all abilities age 9-19. BJC is a 501(c)3 non-profit organization.
Road Program Summary
- 2 levels based on age, skill, and experience (Devo Team and Stagiaire Team)
- Open, encouraging, team-based approach
- A sequential program that follows kids as they develop, from beginners to world-class experts
- Coach-led practice 2 or 3 days a week, locations vary throughout Boulder
- Season runs from April-July for Devo Team, February-August for Stagiaire Team
- Races on weekends. (Racing is not required for younger riders, but most kids choose to race at least a couple times)
- Experienced, certified, well-trained, paid coaching staff
- Emphasis is on developing fundamental bike skills and having fun
- Cost varies based on program level and length of season
- We also offer Road Riding and Cyclocross (Fall) (click menu above)
- The BJC Hall of Fame includes 29 National Champions, and 73 total National Championship Podiums (includes alumni)
- Read our parent testimonials here.
There are 2 levels in the Road Program based on age and experience. Coaches will place riders into the level that best matches their skill level and may move riders as they develop.
Devo Team – In development.
Stagiaire Team – Age 14-19 with significant racing experience (application required)
Devo Team Program Details
2019 Road Devo Team is undergoing changes. Please contact Pete if you are interested in Road Devo.
Stagiaire Team Program Details
This is a boys team for experienced riders age 14+ who have mastered the competencies in the Devo program, are Cat 3 level (or near), are high-school aged, and who want to be a part of a demanding, competitive, traveling team. Emphasis is on excelling in competition, producing state and national champions, and providing kids with the cycling skills needed to race in college or beyond. BJC has been designated a USA Cycling Center of Excellence every year since 2008, one of a very small number of teams nationwide to receive this honor. Email Stagiaire coach Andy Bajadali email@example.com to discuss participation.
– Pre-season weekend team rides beginning in February
– Twice a week practice beginning ~ March 5 and ending August 8, approximately 38 sessions
– Practice is Tues & Thurs 4:15 – 6:15 until summer break, then in the morning
– Coached by veteran pro Andy Bajadali in his 6th season with BJC. Andy provides full-time coaching and mentorship.
– Ten local team races and six travel team races
– Travel and participation in out-of-state races such as T.O.A.D. or the National Championships require added fees
– Team deals on products and gear
– Includes a free Training Peaks account and a full season coach-provided training plan
– Training camp in Grand Junction during Spring Break (additional cost, please inquire)
– Cost $1,300
– Registration is now open. Deadline is Feb. 15, 2019
General Road Program Info – Devo and Stagiaire
Stagiaire Team registration is now open. Deadline is Feb. 15, 2019
Road Devo Team is in development. Please contact Pete if you are interested in Road Devo.
Practices – All Groups
Practice is at locations and sites throughout Boulder. We rotate locations regularly to provide new terrain and challenges for the riders.
We strive to keep fees as low as possible while also offering a professional program. Fees are used to pay our coaches, our administration costs, insurance, and expenses. Additional fees may apply to Stagiaire riders to cover camps and travel.
BJC offers financial support for families who qualify and we have options for paying fees in installments. Here’s more information.
BJC provides a professional coaching staff that brings a high level of training and experience to the program. Our coaches include top-level racers, national champions, and veterans of the sport. All of them have a passion for junior cycling that fuels our success. All coaches are required to take BJC-provided training plus pass certifications in First Aid, Concussions, Safe Sport, and Positive Coaching.
Racing is not required at the Devo level, but most kids choose to race at least a couple times to apply the skills they’ve learned and see their improvements. But nobody should feel pressure to race. There are plenty of BJC riders who don’t want to race, and that is totally fine! Most of the races are for riders age 11 – 18, however there are many events throughout the season for the 9-10 age group. Events are held locally, across Colorado, as well as regionally and – for older and more experienced riders – national championships. Depending on age, an average rider will do about 8-10 races per season. There are races available nearly every weekend from mid-April until mid-August.
BJC provides coaching, support, and a dedicated base camp at several races each season. This is included in program fees. Many families participate in additional races on their own, and there are always other BJC kids to ride with. But BJC can’t provide support at every race on the calendar.
The exact schedule of races with BJC team support will be determined as the season approaches. Sometimes, weather or other factors require us to change the races with BJC team support.
Riders need their own bike as well as a helmet and appropriate clothing (rain jacket, gloves, cold weather gear, etc.) Free or discounted equipment may be available to scholarship riders.
Team uniforms are required for racing, but are optional for those who choose not to race. Group clothing orders are placed several times per year, and take about 2 months to be produced. Clothing is not included in program fees. The team also hosts a ‘swap session’ to help exchange gear among ever-growing kids! Clothing order for 2019 will happen in early February.
Other Team Benefits
Boulder Junior Cycling members get various other benefits and deals, such as:
- Team tent and coaching at many races all season long, including the National Championships
- Discounts at our team’s favorite bike shops: Full Cycle and Excel Sports
- Big savings on bikes thru Giant Bicycles, the official bike sponsor of BJC. Orders are placed via Full Cycle. (Contact us for details)
- Seasonal orders on discounted gear from select companies
- Team Facebook group for communicating with the team and buying and selling gear
- Gear swaps to exchange gear and buy hand-me-downs
BJC is a volunteer-based organization. Families are expected to volunteer several hours each season to help keep our program running, and we’ll announce different opportunities for those with a little or a lot of time to pitch in.
For further information please contact:
Executive Director Pete Webber, firstname.lastname@example.org