Jan. 1 2020 Update: Below are the 2019 program details from last season. In 2020 we’ll offer a very similar program lineup with just a few adjustments. Please see this 2020 Overview, and watch this space for the final 2020 details in January.
BJC is a nationally recognized development team that provides coaching, training, and racing for all abilities age 9-19. BJC is a 501(c)3 non-profit organization.
Road Program Summary
- Coach-led practice 2 or 3 days a week, locations vary throughout Boulder
- Season runs from February-August for Stagiaire Team
- Races on weekends
- Experienced, certified, well-trained, paid coaching staff
- Emphasis is on developing fundamental bike skills and having fun
- We also offer MTB and Cyclocross (Fall) (click menu above)
- The BJC Hall of Fame includes 29 National Champions, and 73 total National Championship Podiums (includes alumni)
- Read our parent testimonials here.
2019 UPDATE: After careful consideration, BJC has determined the Road Devo program for ages 9 – 13 is no longer feasible and we are recommending athletes this age try our MTB program instead.
Stagiaire Team Program Details
This is a co-ed team for experienced riders age 14+ who have mastered fundamental cycling skills, are high-school aged, and who want to be a part of a demanding, competitive, traveling team. Emphasis is on excelling in competition, producing state and national champions, and providing kids with the cycling skills needed to race in college or beyond. BJC has been designated a USA Cycling Center of Excellence every year since 2008, one of a very small number of teams nationwide to receive this honor.
– Pre-season weekend team rides beginning in February
– Twice a week practice beginning ~ March 5 and ending August 8, approximately 38 sessions
– Practice is Tues & Thurs 4:15 – 6:15 until summer break, then in the morning
– Ten local team races and six travel team races
– Travel and participation in out-of-state races such as T.O.A.D. or the National Championships require added fees
– Team deals on products and gear
– Includes a free Training Peaks account and a full season coach-provided training plan
– Training camp in Grand Junction during Spring Break (additional cost, please inquire)
– Cost $1,300
– Registration is now open. Deadline is Feb. 15, 2019
General Road Program Info
Please contact Pete if you are interested in joining.
Practices – All Groups
Practice is at locations and sites throughout Boulder. We rotate locations regularly to provide new terrain and challenges for the riders.
We strive to keep fees as low as possible while also offering a professional program. Fees are used to pay our coaches, our administration costs, insurance, and expenses. Additional fees may apply to Stagiaire riders to cover camps and travel.
BJC offers financial support for families who qualify and we have options for paying fees in installments. Here’s more information.
BJC provides a professional coaching staff that brings a high level of training and experience to the program. Our coaches include top-level racers, national champions, and veterans of the sport. All of them have a passion for junior cycling that fuels our success. All coaches are required to take BJC-provided training plus pass certifications in First Aid, Concussions, Safe Sport, and Positive Coaching.
BJC provides coaching, support, and a dedicated base camp at 8-10 road races each season. This is included in program fees. Many families participate in additional races on their own, and there are always other BJC kids to ride with. But BJC can’t provide support at every race on the calendar.
The exact schedule of races with BJC team support will be determined as the season approaches. Sometimes, weather or other factors require us to change the races with BJC team support.
Riders need their own bike as well as a helmet and appropriate clothing (rain jacket, gloves, cold weather gear, etc.) Free or discounted equipment may be available to scholarship riders.
Team uniforms are required for racing, but are optional for those who choose not to race. Group clothing orders are placed several times per year, and take about 2 months to be produced. Clothing is not included in program fees. The team also hosts a bike swap to help exchange gear among ever-growing kids!
Other Team Benefits
Boulder Junior Cycling members get various other benefits and deals, such as:
- Team tent and coaching at many races all season long, including the National Championships
- Discounts at our team’s favorite bike shops: Full Cycle and Excel Sports
- Big savings on bikes thru Giant Bicycles, the official bike sponsor of BJC. Orders are placed via Full Cycle. (Contact us for details)
- Seasonal orders on discounted gear from select companies
- Team Facebook group for communicating with the team and buying and selling gear
- Gear swaps to exchange gear and buy hand-me-downs
BJC is a volunteer-based organization. Families are expected to volunteer several hours each season to help keep our program running, and we’ll announce different opportunities for those with a little or a lot of time to pitch in.
For further information please contact:
Executive Director Pete Webber, firstname.lastname@example.org